2.4 billion people still do not have a decent toilet at home. Even more, especially children, get sick by coming into contact with human excreta within their communities through open defecation, flooded latrines and untreated wastewater. Each year this millions of preventable deaths, morbidity and disability from diarrhoea and neglected tropical diseases.
Learn more, check out these resources:
- WHO fact sheet on sanitation.
- Deaths from diarrhoea attributable to lack of sanitation.
- Global progress on access to sanitation.
- Investments in sanitation enabling environment.
- New SDG indicators and definitions for safely managed sanitation and wastewater treatment.
Photo credit: DFID – UK Department for International Development via Foter.com / CC BY